As 2012 drew to a close, for many people it had been a year smattered with achievements, fantastic feats, and inspirational stories. The Olympics came to Britain, and gave a dream to thousands of young athletes. A jubilee happened.
But for many, 2012 has been a difficult year. Lax gun control laws in the US leading to tragedy after tragedy, and wars being fought without rhyme or reason in far-flung places in the world, often in our name, without our consent, and a struggling global economy.
Professionally, 2012 was a bit of an up and down year for me. And the biggest mistake that I made was realising about half way through the year that one of the reasons I’d got myself into the pickle that I was in was because I didn’t have a plan.
We all need a plan. Preparation is everything.
'Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.' Abraham Lincoln
How can you hope to find your way in life, in your career, if you do not have a plan?
One of the things one of my business mentors made me realise during the planning and launch of seven (SE-VEN) websites over the course of a couple of months was the importance of planning. The importance of knowing where you are going, even when you are knee-deep in bugs and amendments.
This year, I am not going to make the same mistake again. With careful planning and preparation I am going to achieve as many of my goals as possible.
To that end, in the next year, I plan to achieve the following things:
- A new challenge: This year, I feel like I really need a new challenge. I’ve really enjoyed my time at Real and Smooth Radio, but I’m getting restless. So I need a change, and I need to keep working towards that change.
In my time there, I’ve built social media from the ground up, with the help of a fantastic group of people. I’ve travelled the country, made friends, might have made a couple of enemies, but overall I feel that my time at Real and Smooth has been incredibly exciting.
But I have itchy feet, and it’s time to try something new. What's it going to be? Watch this space!
- Ensure the happiness of people around me: Happiness for yourself is great, but it’s also important to ensure that your loved ones are happy. I’m going to make time for my loved ones this year more than ever. More time with Ana, more time with my friends, more time with my family.
- Read less, learn more, do more: The amount of time that I spend reading about social media, greatly outweighs the amount I learn or do.
I aim to redress that balance in 2013 for good. Prismatic has helped with that massively already. It’s a great app for sifiting through the dreck in my news feed, and giving me the most relevant news. My Google Reader is too bloated and ugly for purpose now!
- Look after my health: There’s no point being the most successful social media man in the cemetery. I know I need to lose weight - I’m a bit of a fatty at the moment. So this is the year that I’m actually going to change my eating habits and stop eating like such a pig.
- Instinct + thought = Decision: Listen to your gut, and then listen to your head. If they are both in agreement, then ACT.
- Review and improve: Constantly review and improve upon what I am doing.
- Worry less: Because worrying gets in the way of effective DOING.
- Win something: I haven’t won anything in a while. I’d like to change that. I don’t mind what it is - employee of the month, a football match, a prize in a newspaper, the Social Media Examiner blog of the year - as long as it’s a victory, then I’ll take it.
- Spend my time more productively: I have a few hobbies, but I don’t take enough time to actually do them. Because I’m always reading about social media, whilst not learning anything!
- Make time for fun: Have more fun.
Will I achieve this? Yes. I hope to, at any rate. I hope that you will stick with me whilst I go on this adventure. You’ll get plenty of social media news and updates from me along the way - useful advice that you’ll want to keep handy.
Happy New Year - I hope that you all have a fantastic 2013.
+The What Noise?